Sunday, February 1, 2009

RPM Challenge Day 01: Post-Rock Guitars And Shamanic Latencies

It is the 1st day of February and the first day of The RPM Challenge (record an album in 28 days)! Nice to start the challenge in Sunday when you have nothing else going on. I started my day with a cup of black coffee and an electronic, distorted beat layered with atmospheric electric pianos. When I began to add some guitars here and there, I found something just wasn't right and I couldn't improve the song any further. I closed the project file and restarted.

It was a good choice. Soon I was composing and recording a little Mogwai-like guitars with different variations. At the moment the song is a slow and straight forward post-rock track, but I want to record at least an epic climax finalé to it...

I had invited my friend Petri to join the recording session and he came by. We had an idea to record some percussions, but not to the song I started earlier the day. We encountered strange latency problems when recording his arsenal, which consisted of a djembe, congas, shakers and all kind of clave percussions. I didn't find the cause of the problems, but we found a work-around.

We started by recording a little faster rhythms, but soon we found ourselves recording quite slow rumba columbia rhythm. When I started to play a low, distorted and heavily delayed guitar on it the direction of the song started to unfold; Sort of muddy, shamanic folk rock psychedelia or something, something very new for me.

Now I have hundreds of megabytes fresh material on my laptop, but no good preview material to show. Tomorrow I will start working hard with those two sketches. We have also ideas for new songs... February looks like promising!

No comments:

Post a Comment